Papyrus environmental efforts
IIn its continuing effort to become more environmentally responsible, PAPYRUS is taking a number of meaningful steps in 2008. These include:
- PAPYRUS stores will begin using recycled materials in all PAPYRUS store bags and boxes.
- PAPYRUS will introduce 84 cards made of 100 percent recycled materials and printed with vegetable- based ink. The first 16 cards are in stores now and a percentage of the proceeds will be donated
- PAPYRUS recently partnered with EarthShare to help develop company-wide "green" programs such as cell phone recycling, carpooling incentives, improved office recycling, and an employee contribution
plan for EarthShare, as well as a number of other initiatives.
- 48 percent of PAPYRUS gift wrap and 46 percent of PAPYRUS cards are now environmentally friendly and printed on FSC-sanctioned paper stock.
- To encourage its customers to re-use, PAPYRUS stores introduced a special canvas bag to coincide with Earth Day in late spring.
"Focusing on these programs is critical to achieving our goal of becoming a more responsible corporate citizen. We are excited to be making notable progress in developing green products and also in
bringing more awareness to the important issues related to global warming," says Dominique Schurman, CEO/President of Papyrus.
PAPYRUS has also started a website, www.papyruscares.org, to chronicle its ongoing efforts in this area.
The word Papyrus (pah•pie•rus) comes from the earliest form of paper crafted from the papyrus plant. The company was founded in a family kitchen over 55 years ago and was inspired by a love of fine
art that was a vision for products of uncompromising quality from which genuine personal connections were made. Led today by creative visionary and second-generation business owner Dominique Schurman,
Papyrus is headquartered in Fairfield, California with 186 stores in North America.
Cathy Van Vessem, +1-707-428-0200, ext. 3059, for Papyrus
Web site: www.papyrusonline.com